" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

EI and Stuff

I have about a million things to do around the house (laundry, dishes, general cleaning etc) but I am feeling lazy and unmotivated so, I am going to blog instead.

For some reason, I have been feeling very reflective lately. It could be because this year has been both the most trying and rewarding year I have ever had or it could be just because.

So you know, the one thing that has really been on my mind a lot? Julia...and how, with the help of Early Intervention, her physical therapist at Health South, and well, me, she has come so far. I remember when, in the depths of despair, I thought she was never going to crawl. Then she started crawling and I thought she would never pull to stand. Then she started pulling to stand and I thought she would never stand alone. The she started standing alone and I thought she's never walk. It's weird...with each stage she passes through, it;s hard to even imagine the next being a reality. She's walking now and rally starting to master it, but it is still hard to imagine her running or even walking fast. It's partly because she is so "floppy" for lack of a better word (she has good head control and what not but she's um, squishy I guess) and partly because I can see, literally how difficult it is for her to do some things. Sometimes, it's a physical strain for her to say, pull a set of plastic beads apart and push them back together, more so than the average kid.

You know, I can't say enough about EI and Health South. The ideas that they have shared, the work they do with Julia, and the things I have learned over the course of all of this have really been amazing.

It's hard to accept that something is "wrong" with your child. It comes eventually (as it has for me) but still, it is nice to know that there are people who can help you to help your child.

I truly believe without their help and encouragement Julia would not have come as far as she has.

No comments: