" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Monday, March 07, 2011

Capitol Hill: Here I Come!

 I leave tomorrow with the Massachusetts State PTA Delegation for Washington, DC.  While in DC, I will have the opportunity to take part in many trainings including,  21st Century Voices: Using Social Media to Persuade and Inform, Education and the Federal Budget, and Taking It To The Hill: PTA's 2011 Public Policy Agenda.  Representing the State of Massachusetts  will be President of the Massachusetts PTA, Mary Ann Stewart, President-Elect, Erik Champy and myself (State Advocacy Chair/Federal Legislative Chair).  On Thursday, March 10th, we have confirmed meetings with Massachusetts State Senators Kerry and Brown,  Congressmen Barney Frank and Ed Markey and Congresswoman, Niki Tsongas.  We will be discussing the Re-Authorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act-No Child Left Behind (ESEA-NCLB), the soon to be introduced Family Engagement In Education Bill, as well as the Federal Education Budget.  I am very excited to have this opportunity and look forward to sharing my experiences when I return.  In the meantime, I plan to provide regular updates from the Hill via a new Twitter handle I just set up.  I will use this new account after I return as well, to promote my interest in education, advocacy, and political and social activism.  You can follow me at @sharonmellis1.

*Cross posted at http://mepta.blogspot.com*

No comments: