" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Silly Ladybug

Last night, shortly after Julia had gone to bed, I heard a blood curdling scream, followed by crying come from her room.  I ran out of the office to see what had happened, expecting to find, I don't know, maybe a missing limb or something.  Instead, I found her sitting up in bed, crying with a look of sheer terror on her face.  When I asked what was wrong, she said, "There was a hard bug...and it was in my hair!"  Whatever it was had vacated her head (we discovered that it was a lady bug that we found on her bed a few minutes later)so I hugged her, told her it was ok and tried, in vain, to settle her down.  Nothing was working to calm her...she was seriously scared, and no explanation of anything was working.  Julia being Julia had many, many questions about the whole thing .  How did it get in the house?  Why are bugs attracted to light?  Should I shut off my aquarium?  Should we shut off the hall light?  Are slugs attracted to light because slugs rhymes with bugs (No, I am not kidding, she really said that)?  How did I finally get her to settle down enough to go back to sleep?  Observe the picture below taken a few nights ago with my phone camera:


I told her that the one that landed in her hair must have thought that her ladybug Pillow Pet was a real lady bug and they were going to hang out.  After basically a good twenty minutes of crying, questioning, and me playing a live version of an encyclopedia on bugs, this explanation elicited this response from Julia, followed shortly by her peacefully falling asleep: "That ladybug is so silly!  Didn't he know that my Pillow Pet was too big to be a real lady bug?"

Seriously, I love that kid!

No comments: