" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Conversation

Emily asked me what it was about her Focalin that would make her stay on track better and really clean her room rather than get distracted. I told her it was something in the drug that communicated with her brain that told her to stay focussed. So she said, "Are you saying drugs are good?" I explained that prescription drugs taken appropriately by the people that they are prescribed to can be good, but that illegal drugs are not. Then she asked me which drugs were illegal. I mentioned a couple and then was struck with the thought that apparently, it's time to have the "Just Say No" talk.

She's only 10 (almost 11) and I keep thinking, did I even know what drugs were then? It's a different world for sure.

No comments: