" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Fairness Of It All

I have been trying like hell to upload the video my father took of Emily at her recital this weekend but You Tube is being bitchy, so I am going to post about something else.

I was just talking to my mother who told me that she has to go back to the doctors because after a blood sugar test (as part of a routine check up) came back high, she had to have it tested again and that came back high. Of course, they won't give her the exact numbers over the phone but, apparently the number was high enough to be of concern. She also has high cholesterol and high blood pressure (I think). She has spent time in the hospital for diverticulitis back when I was pregnant with Emily and has had two back surgeries.

She exercises very regularly and is very conscious about what she eats. While she has occasional slip ups like we all do, overall, she has been very aware and in control of her health.

Enter my father. He smokes, could generally care less about what he eats and doesn't exercise at all. He is the picture of health.

So not that I am wishing any of this on my father but, how fair is it that my mother, who works her but off to stay healthy, has a whole host of medical concerns and my father, who basically does nothing to take care of himself (aside from what my mother might do for him (cooking lightly or whatever) has none?

It sort of lends credence to the fact that sometimes, no matter what you do, your body is just built and wired a certain way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could host that video if you wanted?
Might even be worth the $7 a month and $9 a year to host your own site.
Email it to me if you would like me too.