" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Blood Pressure Question...

...for those who may have the answer.

Ryun tested his on one of those "machines" that you find in the pharmacy. He did this about a month ago at it was borderline high (I forget the exact numbers but the reading said, "Borderline High." So anyway, he just did it again at the machine located at the Walmart Pharmacy and it was 149/95.

My questions:

This is obviously high, but is this considered "Oh my God, go to the doctor right now and get drugs high" or just "be careful" high?

How reliable are those blood pressure things found in pharmacies?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not at all accurate, I think. At least not accurate enough to get excited about a borderline number on.

And high enough that you probably wouldn't want to let it go for years, but low enough that it's not any kind of emergency.

Also, arm size v. cuff size can make them read wrong. Ryun has enough muscle that he might well get an artificially high reading on one of those things.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,
It's definitely not a pressure to freak out over, but given that he's had 2 high readings now, I would see if you can convince him to make an appointment with his doctor to have it checked there. The automatic machines are considered fairly accurate, but what was said above is true, if the cuff doesn't fit well it can really alter the reading, so that may be the case.
Either way, I would recommend going to the doctor, because if his BP is in fact normal it will give you peace of mind, and if it actually is in the high 140's they may have advice/suggestions for how to lower it before resorting to medications. Hope that helps and good luck! =)

Anonymous said...

Those #'s are high as far as I'm concerned. The "95" has me more concerned than 149. I would see a doctor just to see if it remains that high.Sometimes it just happens that way at that time but again I would have it checked.