" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Thursday, September 07, 2006

You never get a second chance...

...to make a first impression, and so far, I am very impressed with Emily and Katherine's teachers.

They came home yesterday, with a bag full of paperwork for me to review and sign. My hand actually hurt when I was done (can we say Carpel Tunnel...of course we can)! One of the things Emily came home with was a list of her homework for the week with the corresponding papers attached. The list explained which assignment was due on which day. I love that idea! It will be especially good on days that might be too hectic (like if some major thing came up that I knew would make it difficult for Em to get her homework done). If I know a week in advance what her homework schedule will be like I can have her do it on a different night. This doesn't happen often mind you but there are certainly rare occasions in which homework is squeezed in between a million other things. I am sure the teacher would also prefer that it be spread out over the week which is how it will be most of the time.

As I had mentioned in a previous entry, I actually had the opportunity to meet Katherine's teacher when I dropped her off yesterday. You know how you meet someone and right off you get a vibe? You just know immediately whether or not you are going to like this person? I got a very good vibe, after only having said hi and introducing myself. Katherine did very well too. She walked right in, found her desk, sat down and said "Bye Mom."

About the only downfall I can see this year is the new bus situation, at least in the morning. Last year, they caught the bus at 8:15. This year it's at 7:50, which means getting up earlier, which generally just stinks. I will be anxious to see when they get home (it's hard to judge the first week or school...with everyone getting acclimated it is very rare that the bus actually leaves the school on time).

No comments: