" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Thursday, September 09, 2010

History

In the days that followed September 11th, 2001 Ryun and I gathered and saved virtually everything we could get our hands on regarding the terror attacks. From newspapers, to news reports, to magazines, to yes, even comic books, we managed to gather a good number of things. Our plan was to save it, and show it to our children when they got older and could better understand what had happened, why it happened, and how dramatically it changed the world as we knew it. About a year later, near the first anniversary of the attacks, I sat down and went through it all. I compiled a scrapbook of the articles and pictures we had saved. I organized and labeled the video tapes. I looked through and documented the magazines and books. Then, I boxed everything up and put it away.

It was back in 2006 when I took this collection out for the first time. I wanted to wait until I thought Emily was old enough to at least have some understanding of what happened. Before that it was too hard to look at, and, even now, years later, it's still not easy. I will take it out again though. Katherine is old enough to see it now, and I am sure both Emily and Katherine will most likely have some discussion about it in school. I took pictures of the collection when I took it out back in 2006. Click on each picture to see a larger version.


The whole collection.


Some of the headlines I cut from newspapers and magazines, creating a two page layout in the scrapbook.


Land of the free, home of the brave.


The Heroes of 9/11/2001. Included on this page are the Firefighter and Policeman's prayers.


A close up of some of the books and tapes on which we recorded numerous 9/11 news reports.

Another close up of some of the magazines etc. To the far left is the aforementioned comic book entitled, "Heroes" put out by Marvel Comics.



This is the front page of the Boston Herald, one year later. Although it is hard to see in the picture, the small black print you see there, lists the names of every victim of the terror attacks.

No comments: