" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Biggest Loser

Bernie went home. Darn it...I really liked him.

Also, is anyone else living in a fog? I had NO IDEA how many calories were in some of the things they had to eat in last night's temptation. It was alarming.

I have been thinking a lot about this lately, as part of my "quest for total wellness." After last night's episode, I decided to see how many calories I would need to take in to lose weight. According to a couple of calculators, in order to maintain my current weight I should be eating only 1400 calories per day. Yikes. Based on what I saw last night, I am quite sure I am taking in more than that on a daily basis. That was even more alarming then seeing how many calories were in certain foods. So, it stands to reason that, in order to lose weight I would need to decrease my caloric intake from the maintain my weight number. Less than 1400 per day? What? That seems close to impossible. I know it's not but wow. Part of this could be reduced by burning calories off through exercise. To lose 1 pound per week, I would need to cut back on 500 calories. It could be a half and half thing...250 calories less through eating and burning 250 exercising.

The whole thing is quite overwhelming if I am being honest. I know I don't eat right and I know I should be making healthier choices for myself and my family but you know what? It's hard, and quite frankly, more expensive and time consuming. I mean grabbing a pre-made food (whether it be a snack or actual meal) is just easier than slicing a cucumber or even making a sandwich. As far as the money is concerned, it's disconcerting how much it costs to shop the "perimeter" of the store. ( which is where it is said the healthier foods lie). Let's not even mention if I decided to go all organic or, if I decided to try all of the diets out there that are supposed to help with things like ADHD (gluten and casein free are what come to mind). For someone like me who generally hates to cook, loves the quick and easy food prep (or better yet no food prep) and who isn't independently wealthy, going on a diet isn't as easy thing.

And besides, it's just one more thing to worry about. I have enough on my proverbial plate right now, enough that I am finding it hard to figure out prioritizing it all. I really need to elaborate further of course, which I will do in a not to distant future entry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, ymmv (your metabolism may vary, lol), of course, but the last time I calorie-counted I was dropping weight on 2000/day...from about 195 down to about 165 before it even slowed. That was between the last 2 kids. 1200/day is generally considered a lower limit unless you're on a medically supervised fast.

And yes, I was counting properly. I was weighing and measuring everything, and I may have been just a little crazy but I was sure as hell thinner.

In other words, I suspect that counter is wrong. Just sayin'.

I've seen it suggested that a less crazy-making way to start is to just track what you eat for a week or two, and then cut by an appropriate amount once you have a baseline. If you're maintaining on x calories/day during the trial, try x-500 for a roughly pound-a-week loss.

I may have given up dieting, but I'm really good at it. :)

I'm not going to get started on the grocery thing, 'cause that'll lead me into the obesity crisis thing, which will run me into the class warfare thing, which is about a dozen books. LOL.