" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Social Anxiety

Yup, I've got it.

I am quite comfortable with those I know but starting a conversation with a complete stranger? Not gonna happen.

I actually get all panicky and nervous when I am going to have to be in a situation in which I am not familiar with the surroundings or the people involved.

I even get nervous sometimes when I am doing something I have done hundreds of times (for example, driving to Boston tomorrow for Emily's 6 month checkup at Children's). I am not nervous about the appointment really, but I am dying thinking about driving in to Boston.

It's funny, because I don't think anyone would ever know how hard it can be for me to be social sometimes. When I speak in large groups of people (or even in smaller groups like at PTA), my stomach is in knots before my turn comes up. I do fine and even manage to sound confident but it's all an act.

I think this is tied to a lot of other things when it comes to my personality, but, I can't be sure. I know it has to do with my level of confidence, but sometimes I think it is just the way I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm right with you there Shaz.
I'm like that too.