" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Random Stuff...

So tonight, I was in CVS picking up a few things and this mother walked in with her daughter that appeared to be about Katherine's age (7, maybe even a bit younger). I was browsing through the Easter section (killing time before my 7:00 meeting) and the mother walked in, left her kid in the aisle, and went all the way over to the other side of the store to drop off a prescription. The line over at the drop off counter must have been long because she was gone for a good 5 minutes. Just long enough for some psycho to take her kid and run. I was kind of horrified actually, and even gave the woman a dirty look when she came back (just because I felt like being catty and all that) but I was thinking to myself (and I don't know maybe I am over protective) that I wouldn't even leave my 10 year old daughter alone in a store for that long. What was even more annoying was that she was busy gabbing away on her cell phone asking if so and so had just sent her an obscene text message. I'm like, "Dude, you have a kid! And you are in public talking about obscene text messages while you leave your daughter alone in the store? What the hell kind of a parent are you?" To each his own I guess but really, am I crazy? Or is she?

Anyway, as I was going up to the counter to pay for my things I noticed one of those turn style rack thingies that had gift cards to about a million different stores (Home Depot, Old Navy, Blockbuster etc). I started thinking about how convenient that was (not actually having to go to the store itself to get the giftcard) but it strikes me as kind of counterproductive too. If I go to CVS to get my Dad a Home Depot gift card that means I haven't actually entered Home Depot. I'm thinking if I was a marketing person, I would want people to come to my store to get the gift card, see the product we have to offer, and perhaps, purchase some additional items as well. Make sense?

No comments: