" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Friday, January 26, 2007

Katherine and Julia: Doctor's Appointment Updates

Last night, Julia and Katherie had their 2 1/2 year and 7 year checkups.

Here's the low down.

Julia: She's a peanut. She weighed in at 26 lbs 13 oz. She was in the 15th percentile for weight, and the 39th for height. We talked a little bit about my concerns mentioned in a previous entry but as I suspected, he was not the right person to talk to about this. He himself recommended I talk with her developmental pediatrician as she specializes in these types of things. He did offer some suggestions regarding the feeding problems. She had the flu shot as recommended by the doctor and was good to go.

Katherine: Overall, it went well. Her strep throat has cleared up ( not even sure if I mentioned she had it). She also had the flu shot. He was very concerned about her weight. Awhile back, (at her 4 year check up ) she had gained 11 lbs in the year. We switched to skim milk, cut soda (except for the occasional diet soda) and limited her juice intake to 1 8 oz glass per day in the morning with breakfast. For the next 2 years, she gained 5 and 3 lbs respectively. This year, she gained 10 lbs. Nothing else has changed in the way of what she eats or what she does or doesn't do. So, he was concerned. He gave a me a few suggestions which included increasing her regular exercise (she plays soccer during the spring and fall months but I was thinking of adding swimming lessons for the in between times which, aside from the obvious exercise benefits , she could use anyway). I also brought up with excessive urination at night. She still has to wear a pull up to bed because she wets the bed every night. She doesn't wake up to go, or to get changed if she is wet and doesn't have a pull up on , and she goes a lot. Her pull up is saturated just about every morning. We don't give her anything to drink after dinner (which is usually about 6 or so) so that can't be it. He recommended some alarm thing which actually would go in her underwear and sound if it got wet which would be fine I guess, but what about the actual amount she goes? So, I think I am just going to bite the bullet and call her endocrinologist and see what he has to say. I have a sneaking suspicion that this could somehow be related to her blood sugar issues (she has ketotic hypoglycemia, although she has not had an "attack" in a while). In the mean time, I am going to start testing her sugar every night right after dinner and about an hour or so later. So, we will see.

No comments: