" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Monday, July 10, 2006

New Feature: Entertaining The Children!

So, you know, it's summer time, which for us parents translates in to "Oh my God what am I going to do to entertain the kids?"

I am lucky in that my kids are usually able to entertain themselves pretty well. They spend a good part of their summer running around in the yard, just like in "the old days" when I was a kid. Many times, we'll pack up our life (it's like that with three kids you know) and head out to the town playground, or the public library, or perhaps, most fun for them, my parents pool.

Still, there are those rainy days, and those days when they get sick of doing the "same old stuff" day in and day out.

Enter: Mom and her amazingly cool ideas for fun summer (and any other season) entertainment!

I will probably make this a weekly thing, posting a new idea each Monday.

So, without further adieu, I give you this week's "Entertaining the Children" idea!

Last night, just before bed, Emily, Katherine and I made Yogurt Popsicles. We tried them this afternoon for a snack and they were great! It's an easy recipe, and one the kids can help with! You will need small paper cups and popsicle sticks. Personally, I bought a cheap popsicle mold at the store (I think it cost me $2.00, has 6 molds and the sticks that you need).

Ingredients:

1 cup of plain fat free or low fat yogurt
1 banana, sliced
1 tsp vanilla
1 c fruit juice

Directions:


Blend all ingredients together and pour in to paper cups.

Place in freezer.

When yogurt mixture is about half frozen, place stick in each cup.

Freeze overnight.

To serve, turn the cup or mold upside down and run hot water over it until the popsicle slips out.

3 comments:

Caltechgirl said...

alternatively, you can spray some PAM on a paper towel and wipe the inside of the mold with it. The pops should just slide out.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, good idea! We did these when I was a kid and I had totally forgotten about them. :)

Sharon said...

Good Idea with the Pam! Much better than the water thing!