" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Monday, May 08, 2006

Therapy Room

Julia had PT today so I left a little early and bought a tackle box for all of the hair accesories and some clear rectangle containers with lids to set up some sensory boxes for Julia. So far I have filled one with oatmeal (well not filled but about half way), one with cornmeal, and one with rice. My next plan is to round up a series of different textured items (sandpaper, cottonballs, soft brushes (perhaps a toothbrush) rough brushes, and anything else I can think of that would help out with the sensory concerns.

All of this has made me think of a recent episode of Extreme in which Ty and the gang built a "therapy" room for a little girl who was globally delayed (multiple delays...speech, fine and gross motor, sensory etc). The episode itself had me in tears...from start to finish. What got me thinking about it now though was how cool it would be to have a "therapy" room for Julia. Imagine how much fun that would be for her?

Anyway, I have to write a letter to Emily's neurologist to send via email before our visit on the 18th (I am going to address some of the issues that I have been talking about here but don't want to talk in detail at the appointment with Emily present...I don't want her to feel bad). I figure I can get in to detail in the letter and at our visit we can kind of just decide what the next step is.

I also am going to try and get the kids arts and crafts upstairs tonight(I just decided to go for it...I laid down the law yesterday when I told them I was going to do it so hopefully, we shouldn't have any problems and if we do then...well, we'll deal).

No comments: