" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Thursday, May 04, 2006

And Cut!

I just came in a little while from hanging around on the deck reading the paper while Julia was asleep.

This weeks paper had not one but two articles about the probable budget cuts that are going to be made unless a tax override is passed to help offset the budget.

One article talked about cuts to the Parks Department over the summer, which would include the closing of the town pool and elimination of the Summer at the Park camp programs. Another article talked about cutting library funding and about, of course, cutting the school budget.

It really is a no win situation. If they don't cut the school funding, they cut a few fire fighters. If they don't cut the library funding, they cut a couple of police officers. If they don't cut the Parks Department funding they cut the town employee health insurance coverage. The list goes on.

Still, I can't understand how anyone who is anyone would not be able to see how worthy of an "investment" the education of our children would be (and yes, I consider the library and Parks Department Camps to be an essential part of that education). It's beyond me, really.

The children are our future afterall.

I don't know. I am sure there are many towns going through this. It's nice to know that we are not the only ones, but it still sucks.

For the record, I had intended for this to be a much more political type post about how the government seems to want to be all up in our business and if they're so goddamn great, why can't they balance a budget blah blah blah, but really, the bottom line?

It sucks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the record, I had intended for this to be a much more political type post about how the government seems to want to be all up in our business and if they're so goddamn great, why can't they balance a budget blah blah blah, but really, the bottom line?

It sucks.


A-freaking-men!