" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

MA

Besides being my sister's birthday, it is also the 15 year anniversary of my paternal grandmother's passing.

My grandmother came home from the hospital to our house to spend her last days with us. She was sick with lung cancer.

That year, March 29 was also Good Friday so, it's kind of like we have two anniversaries to remember.

There are a lot of things that stand out in my mind about that time but perhaps the one thing most embedded in my mind was that it was the first (and the last) time I ever saw my father cry. I remember him getting teary eyed at his sisters wake/funeral a few years later, but not actually crying.

It's kind of a weird thing to see your father cry. I remember it so vividly too, and it was actually before she came home that it happened.

For some reason, it was just him and I home (I think it was a school day and being 14 at the time, I got out earlier than my younger sisters). He was home early from work and the phone rang. He answered it and I could tell by the tone of his voice that it wasn't good. He got of the phone and I asked what was wrong. He put his hands over his face and broke down saying, "Ma might die."

I don't think I will ever forget that moment for as long as I live, and it brings tears to my eyes right now, just remembering it.

Anyway, I still think of Ma often. Oddly, whenever I pray (which admittedly isn't often) I think of her and wonder if she is somehow looking down on me. I wonder if she's proud of me and how my life has turned out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it has been 15 years for Ma....my memory of dad crying was the morning she died when the hearse came to take Ma away we were all in mom and dad's bedroom and dad turned and I was right there so he hugged me and out his head on my shoulder and I can remember him sobbing almost.....it was a powerful moment. March 26 of this year was Penny's 10 year anniversary. It is so hard to believe I was a freshman in college 10 years ago. And John's amazing cousin Teri's 6 year anniversary was March 28th. What a month March is.