" Please visit me at my new online home, www.thevolunteermom.com."

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I Think I know...

...what I want to be when I grow up!

As I have mentioned, I have been doing tons of research in the areas of special education, ADHD, executive functions, and psychology. I started out with the goal of understanding more how Emily specifically functions in her every day life.

The more I get in to it though, the more I see how my research is benefiting me in ways that I didn't anticipate.

Perhaps the most beneficial part of all of this, aside from the obvious benefits of better understanding?

I feel like I am actually using my brain.

Hard to explain really, but it feels good to sit down and research something, learn all I can about it, and make a decision about what I now know.

I sort of feel like, um, I don't know, scholarly or something.

Perhaps, even better than all of that?

I like it, as in really, really like it. I find it all to be so interesting, and I have an actual need to learn more.

I never felt that way in college, or high school for that matter. I just went and did whatever because I was supposed to. It's probably why I left Merrimack after 2 years (one of the reasons anyway).

I have been thinking for a long time about what I want to do after the kids are all in school etc.

I think I know.

I want to be a combination of the following professions:

Child Psychologist
Special Education Teacher
Advocate


I have no idea what that would be called officially, but that's what I want to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you would be really good at that.